Section Six: Choosing a Printer

I currently have two main options for printing the magazine. I obviously want it to look professional and like a real magazine so I have discounted a lot of the online printing services and local printing shops are extremely costly. Therefore my two options are Blurb.co.uk and the printing service at university. 
As you can see above the Blurb magazines are very professional looking and from reading reviews the printing and paper quality is excellent. I really like the look/sound of the premium magazine as it has a matte cover, which looks a lot more, well, premium. It also comes with perfect binding which I have wanted to do since I researched other magazines. I just think it looks more professional and high quality than staples. 

There aren't many customisable features with this option however I am happy with the preset features. The dimension of the magazines are 22 x 28cm which is slightly different to A4 and looks a bit wider, which I like. It will set Blogette a part from other magazines and hopefully would allow it to stand out on the shelves. 

Blurb also offers and Adobe InDesign Plug In for creating the magazine which is handy. They do offer pre made templates but I won't be using them as I want to create my own style and layout. 


Above I calculated the printing and shipping costs and times to help me make my decision.  It it does workout to be quite costly for a one off print however I am more than happy to spend this kind of money for a high quality print.

My other option (and my "back up plan") is the university printing service. The quality isn't AS good however turn around time is quite quick and the cost is lower (I also don't have to pay for shipping costs which is great).

I am going with Blurb for the time being and will use the Plug In to get started with my design. I'm aiming to send the magazine to print no later than the beginning of February and will pay the Priority shipping costs to ensure it arrives well before the deadline.

No comments